Jimmy "Lefty" Evans
Jimmy Evans, c.1960
In 1958, as Ronnie Hawkins and the Hawks were going to Toronto to play clubs and bars, Jimmy (James G.) Evans, a professional sessionman, was hired as their electric bass player. Jimmy Evans and drummer Levon Helm were the rhytm section of the Hawks until early 1960, when Evans left and was replaced by young Robbie Robertson.
Jimmy Evans continued working as a singer, song writer and musician for the next 40 years, mainly within rockabilly. See the Rockabilly Hall of Fame for more about Evans' career after the Hawks.