The Band Web Site
News and Updates
- Thanks to Joshua Butts for informing us about this one:
Showtime is currently doing a
called Shangri-La, focusing
on "creative conversation and the emotional side of
music-making", using legendary music producer and Def Jam
Records co-founder Rick Rubin's iconic Malibu, CA studio "Shangri-La" as
Of course the studio and The Band get heavy and early mention. Robbie Robertson shows up in the first episode and hangs with Rubin in the control room. The pool table is still there, but everything is painted white. They show the Rick Danko and Martin Scorses clip from The Last Waltz early on.
You can watch the episodes and a trailer for the series at the
Showtime web site.
- "A conversation with Barney Hoskyns, author of Across The Great Divide: The Band and America" - podcast with Matt Lodato interviewing author/music journalist and life-long The Band fan Hoskyns.
Shall Be Released" - live version by our long-time friend
and contributor Pat Brennan's Dylan cover band
with guest vocalist Terrance Simien, plus Alejandro Escovedo and
Jon Langford sitting in. Recorded at Fitzgerald's night club in Chicago, 07.06.2019.
- Links from our friend Peter Stekel:
Today the Governor General announced
new appointments to The Order Of Canada:
Eric Garth Hudson, C.M.
For his unique musical contributions and for his mentorship of many
emerging artists over the past 60 years
2019 Order of Canada appointees have made their mark on all aspects of
- A close friend of this site has cooked up some software that'll do a (pretty good) separation of the different tracks (bass, vocal, keyboards etc.) that are mixed together on records. Here's an example, revealing the vocal magic that a 28 year old Levon Helm created in the late '60s with a little help from Richard and Rick:
"The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" vocal separation
- Dag B. has done it again:
58(!) covers of The Band songs that
you probably have never heard before, for you to enjoy, stream or download in splendid MPEG-3.
- A new The Band documentary, based on Robbie Robertson's 2017 autobiography, is due for release this fall:
- Robbie Robertson in a recent interview with CBC:
"I have just finished a new album and it's coming out in September... This album, it's one of the most special things I've ever done."
Levon Helm, May 26, 1940 -- Apr 19, 2012
Seven years gone
The music will live forever
76 years ago, on April 3rd 1943, the great
Richard Manuel was born. Too soon gone.
- Would you like to see a relatively good quality video of The Band's 1974 concert at Wembley Stadium in London, UK? The whole thing, from start to finish? We thought so... and, thanks to the man Dag B., now you can!
- More photos downloaded
from social media the last couple of months.
- The Band in 1968 -- a mishmash of stuff relating to the boys in 1968, compiled by Dag B.
[Chat Room] [Search]
[What's New?] [Main Page]