The Band Web Site
News and Updates
- We will of course contribute to the fundraiser for a Levon Helm memorial on his home turf in Arkansas. Check out
promo video (featuring Amy Helm, C.W. Gatlin and Anna Lee) to see why and how you can participate too.
Garth Hudson, one of two remaining original members of The Band, will be joining the 2017 Last Waltz 40 Tour for two special shows at The Palace Theatre in Albany, NY and MGM National Harbor in Washington, DC to celebrate the Band's 40th Anniversary of their historical farewell concert.
Hudson, the iconic multi-instrumentalist has been credited by his band members and brothers Robbie, Levon, Rick, and Richard for being the resident musical genius of The Band and helped create their unmistakable sound.
Details for the two engagements are below:
- Thursday, February 2 in Albany, New York at The Palace Theatre
- Saturday, February 4 in Oxon Hill (Washington, DC), Maryland at MGM National Harbor
Tickets can be purchased at: lastwaltz40tour.com.
- New article in The Philadelphia Inquirer:
"Robbie Robertson on The Band, Bob Dylan and his Shore Days"
"The guitarist was speaking from a recording studio in Los Angeles, where he is finishing his score for Scorsese's film Silence, set in 16th-century Japan. It's due in New York and Los Angeles by Christmas, before opening wide next year. He's also beginning work on his first solo album since 2011's How to Become Clairvoyant"(!).
- Ken Shimamoto: "Back in the Basement with Bob"
- Crazy Chester Records presents:
THE LAST WALTZ MUSCLE SHOALS
40th Anniversary Celebration of the Music of the Band and Levon Helm
Marriott Conference Center, Florence AL
Saturday, November 5th, 2016
8:00PM (7:00PM: Doors)
The lineup includes Tom "Bones" Malone who is best known for his work with the Blues Brothers and Late Night with David Letterman. Malone was in the horn section of the original Last Waltz and will lead the Muscle Shoals Horns at the show. He'll bring the horn arrangements he wrote for the Band. Wet Willie's Jimmy Hall, who's currently touring Europe fronting Jeff Beck's band will be a featured performer along Tommy Talton, Scott Boyer, Donnie Fritts, Mickey Buckins, Russell Mefford, Mitch Mann, Mark Narmore, Dana Abbott, David Hood and various others. The house band includes bass player Paul Ossola who was a member of Levon Helm's band and can be heard on Helm's Grammy winning album Ramble At The Ryman.
- Here's an
excerpt from Robbie Robertson's upcoming autobiography
published in Vanity Fair magazine.
- One of our major contributors has left us. May you rest in peace, Serge Daniloff.
It's Garth Hudson's 79th birthday
today! We send our best wishes to Garth and Sister Maud Hudson.
- Recommended Facebook page: Photography by John Scheele -- "original photography by John Scheele of The Band, Bob Dylan & friends from 1969 to 1976". Yesterday, Scheele posted a lovely, previously unseen, photo from the Stage Fright sessions, captioned "Levon working out his part for 'Daniel and the Sacred Harp' - Woodstock Playhouse (1970)".
- David Powell has left us. He was a major contributor to this site for nearly 20 years. David was
a fountain of musical knowledge and a brilliant writer. He was also very kind and nice to everyone when
posting in our guestbook, even when the discussions got a bit heated -- read some of the
recent posts in the guestbook to see the respect and love our long-time
followers have for David. Some of David Powell's contributions can be found here:
May you rest in peace.
- At The Imperial in
Vancouver, Friday June 10, 2016:
A TRIBUTE TO THE BAND,
featuring: Khari McClelland + Rich Hope + Lydia Hol + Dustin Bental + Kalissa Landa and Ashley Grant- Evangeline + Kenton Lowen + Karina Morin + The Paperboys! All backed up by: Acadian Driftwood, featuring: Scott Smith, Eric Nielsen, Tom Landa, Darryl Havers and Liam MacDonald.
imperialvancouver.com for tickets and more info.
- A new exhibition of The Band photographs is opening on June 9th
at the Proud Camden Gallery in
"Proud Camden is delighted to present The
Band Photographs 1968-1969, an exclusive collection of both iconic
and never-before-seen photographs documenting the making of the group's
first two albums, Music from Big Pink and
through the lens of close friend and renowned photographer Elliott Landy."
See the press
release for more information about this lovely exhibition.
- Garth Hudson and Sister Maud Hudson will perform with legendary producer Hal Willner at
The Stone in New York City on June 18, 2016!
- The official release date for Robbie Robertson's
new autobiography Testimony: A Memoir is November 15, 2016.
The play Manuel, about The Band's singer and piano player Richard Manuel, will be performed at the Paul Davenport Theatre in London, Ontario from April 26th to May 1st, 2016. For tickets and more information, check out
30 years ago, on March 4th 1986, we lost the great
Richard Manuel. Too soon gone.
- The Levon & the Hawks box set still hasn't been abandoned and might be released this year, acording to this
article from The Toronto Star about
producer Jan Haust and engineer Peter Moore.
[Chat Room] [Search]
[What's New?] [Main Page]