The Band Web Site
News and Updates, 2011
Photo © copyright Elliott Landy. All rights reserved.
- 68 years ago, on December 29, 1943,
Rick Danko was born. He is deeply missed. The music will live forever.
- This year's The Band Christmas Quiz is
our ninth -- the first quiz appeared in 2003. Most of them have been contributed by Jonathan Katz. A little stroll down memory lane:
- On this day, 12 years ago, we lost
Rick Danko. Forever young, forever missed.
- Friday November 18, at the
Ulster Performing Arts Centre
in Kingston, NY: "Shelter from the Storm" -- a concert with
The Levon Helm Band featuring special guests Donald Fagen, Natalie Merchant, Graham Parker, John Medeski, Chris Wood and more TBA. This is a benefit gig for the
victims of tropical storm Irene.
Hard Rock Cafe & Cambria Present
The 35th Anniversary of The Last Waltz
With very special guest "Rompin'" Ronnie Hawkins!
Thursday, November 24th, 2011
Hard Rock Cafe Toronto
279 Yonge Street (at Yonge & Dundas), Toronto
Tickets Available at
Or visit The Hard Rock Cafe Toronto Rock Shop
(279 Yonge Street) 416-362-3636
Toronto's Hard Rock Cafe at Yonge & Dundas is built on the original site where Bob Dylan first met The Hawks in the mid-60's. During the 1960's Ronnie Hawkins & The Hawks (later to become The Band) ruled Yonge street and pioneered Canadian Rock & Roll.
Please join us as we celebrate the 35th anniversary of The Band's Last Waltz at the very site where it all began.
VIP Package includes:
- Thanksgiving Style Dinner (as it was served to those who attended the original Last Waltz Concert)
- Q&A with Ronnie Hawkins in person!
- Yonge Street 60's style DJ dance party, with Go-Go Dancers, and Rock & Soul tracks personally selected by Ronnie Hawkins.
- Visit Hard Rock Cafe's Last Waltz and Bob Dylan original memorabilia displays
- Swag including Hard Rock Cafe T-shirt, tote bag, Last Waltz replica lanyard & vintage style poster
- Plus Amazing Raffle prizes, including Dylan & The Band CD's
- Good music for a good cause:
The New Paltz Flood Aid
concert in Hasbrouck Park, New Paltz, NY, on Sunday, October 16th, featuring
Randy Ciarlante and Jim Weider from The Band, several of the musicians from
Levon Helm's Ramble/touring band, and many other quality acts.
Get your tickets and/or make a donation at
- Band gigs 0.7, with more complete venue names and several new entries. JT the man!
- Our "starting point" for creating the definitive list of Band gigs (yes, with set lists and posters and tickets and reviews and whatnot to be included later) is still growing.
Version 0.4 is updated with entries from the tape archive and input from fans and collectors.
- Two links lifted from our own guestbook:
- Here's version 0.2 of our Band gig list, updated with info.
from Peter Viney++.
- OK, let's try to compile a complete list of Band gigs, where we can add posters,
tickets, reviews and what not. We're starting here ('64-'76).
Contributions and corrections welcome. And thanks to Mr JT for this inital list.
- Roll Magazine
excellent article about Catherine Sebastian
and her work as a photographer. She's the wife of John Sebastian, a
Woodstock resident and a friend of Levon Helm and the Band. Her
artwork can be seen on Levon's
RCO All-Stars album. Thanks to
Tom Grasso for the link.
- New August and September concert dates for Garth & Maud Hudson have been announced! Check
garthandmaud.com for details and ticket info.
- The Levon Helm Band will be on the road and also do several Midnight Rambles this fall. More
information available from levonhelm.com.
- Added Jeff Newsom's The Henhouse Tapes to the list of
albums with Band covers. May you rest in peace, Rollie.
- Garth Hudson will be performing with Jim Weider's PROJECT PERCoLAToR
at the Iridium Jazz Club in NYC on September 21, 2011. See
jimweider.com for details and more gig dates with
the great Jim Weider.
It's Garth Hudson's birthday
today! We send our best wishes to Garth and Maud.
- Two upcoming performances with Garth Hudson:
- Luminato Festival, June 15, Massey Hall, Toronto, Canada:
Ron Sexsmith with
Matthew Barber, Barenaked Ladies, Measha Brueggergosman, Broken Social Scene's Kevin Drew, Julie Fader, The Band's Garth Hudson, Greg Keelor, Andy Kim, Ladies of the Canyon, Oh Susanna, Tomi Swick, Justin Hines and more.
Tickets and more information
available from luminato.com.
- June 29, BB King's Blues Club, NYC:
Al Kooper, Garth Hudson,
+ Robert Walter & Marco Benevento
w/ Will Lee, Anton Fig & Oz Noy.
Tickets and more information
available from bbkingblues.com.
- Here's an interesting review of Robbie's new CD,
that references Levon Helm's Electric Dirt
and Dirt Farmer.
Thanks to Paul Schoninger for the link.
- Singer songwriter and folk/blues/country blues artist TJ Colatrella has been recording with Garth Hudson recently. The tracks "Mississippi Flood" and "Gypsy River" are now available for
free download from the My Reverb Nation Site. The musicians are
TJ, guitar/vocal and harp on "Gypsy River," Garth Hudson, keys on "Mississippi Flood" and
keys and accordion on "Gypsy River," Tim Tindal, bass, and Winston Roye, drums.
"I know fans of The Band want to hear these great performances by Garth on my tunes..." (TJC)
- Snooky Young, who was part of the horn section for The Band's Rock of Ages album,
has died at age 92.
Thanks to Tom Wilk for the update.
- "Levon Helm escapes, works, creates & plays in upstate digs" - article from the New York Post yesterday.
25 years ago, on March 4th 1986, we lost the great
Richard Manuel. Too soon gone.
YONGE STREET -- TORONTO ROCK & ROLL STORIES
"When the boisterous, sexy sounds of rock 'n' roll burst on the staid,
conservative, 'waspy' city of Toronto in the mid-1950s, 'Toronto the
good' would never be the same. Commissioned by and premiering
exclusively on Bravo! on Monday, March 21 at 10 p.m. ET / 7 p.m. PT,
the original documentary series Yonge Street -- Toronto Rock & Roll
Stories recounts the early days of the Yonge Street music scene like
never before. Leading up to the 40th anniversary of the JUNO AWARDS
and directed by acclaimed outlaw film director Bruce McDonald (Hard
Core Logo 1 & 2, This Movie is Broken), the three-part, hour-long
series reveals the untold first steps of how Yonge Street became the
leading destination for musicians, singers and music fans not only in
Toronto, but across Canada and beyond."
Sites with more information about the TV documentary:
Fans of the early days of The Band (aren't we all...?) must check this
out -- Ronnie Hawkins and The Band/Hawks are featured througout, including
never before told stories and previously unpublished photos and film clips!
- Now for sale from Levon Helm Studios only:
Three of a Kind -- a new
compilation with the original recordings of The Band's three first studio albums,
lifted from Capitol Records' vaults at Levon Helm's request.
These are the original album mixes on CD - without overdubs, outtakes or bonus tracks.
Also available for collectors: Three of a Kind autographed by Levon.
- On May 5, 2011, The Blues Foundation will present the 32nd Blues Music Awards at the Cook Convention Center in Memphis, TN. One of the
"Best New Artist Debut" is the Chris O'Leary Band, for
"Mr. Used to Be". The group's lead singer, Chris O'Leary, was a member of
Levon Helm & the Barn Burners from 2000 to 2003.
The awards are determined through Internet voting.
If you are a member of the Blues Foundation (or sign in to become one), you
may cast your vote here.
- Robbie Robertson's new solo effort
How to Become Clairvoyant will be released
04.05.2011 on 429 Records. Check out this
press release for the
track list and more info. The album includes
"his first-ever song about leaving The Band, the evocative 'This Is Where I Get Off'." You may listen to another track from the album,
"When The Night Was Young", at 429records.com.
[Chat Room] [Search]
[What's New?] [Main Page]